Saturday, February 6, 2010

Mei Yee's Wedding

It was a Friday wedding dinner... one of the first that I have. The Witch's wedding dinner was held at Kampar... my hometown, in a restaurant called Kam Ling. Kam Ling has a long standing history of being the most famous restaurant in Kampar (relatively :P) And due to the business we Kamparians give to Kam Ling, they build another three storey building as an extension to the existing restaurant. And the wedding dinner was held there...

My first step into this new building proves that it is... well, new... a pungent smell of newly coated paint attacked me. The wedding was held at the second floor and I had to take a lift the size of a "lif bomba" to reach there. Being new, the air-conditioning was blasting at full force and many of my friends were noting that it was extremely cold... luckily, the food that we were served were hot... or at least, they were supposed to be...

Table setting...

Stage setting...

Shiny ceiling lights...

Eight Happiness Dish... finally, the first dish was served after 45 minutes from the one stated in the invitation card... and unfortunately, it didn't give a very good impression. Except for the fried yam, everything else is average and some are even below average... most notably the prawns which were definitely not fresh...

The second dish (Shark Fin's Soup) was at least piping hot, but it tasted funny... also, it was served only after almost 30 minutes from the first dish...

Pomfret fish... this might actually be the best dish of the night...

Mushrooms, broccoli, etc...

Chicken... the dish itself was quite okay, but the dish was supposed to be eaten with the salt that came together with the dish... and the salt was terrible... it was too salty without any hint of other spices which it is supposed to have...

Prawns... again, although better than the prawns served in the first dish, it was not exactly what I would call fresh...

Sticky rice...

Pandan filled fried buns and longan dessert... the pandan filled fried buns were quite nice but the longan dessert is really terrible... this dessert is supposed to be very sweet... however, it acutally tasted bitter to me!

The duet by the bride and groom... they both were giving their best... however, their supposedly stunning performance was marred by the terrible acoustics of the wedding hall... sure, the louspeaker was loud enough, but the only word that I can hear clearly when the couples sang was the word "love". Other than that, the rest I heard were some alien language from an alien planet...

The cheering ceremony...

The three gals...

The four gals...

Gals... again

Mr. Hamdan looking all professional...

While I supposed I should not be writing such a demoralising post on the wedding dinner of one of my friends... I just could not hold myself back. I was bragging to all my (non-Kamparian) friends about the great food that Kampar serves and how our restaurants' food are several classes above all the five star hotels... and it turned out that the food served in Kam Ling can be ranked as the bottom three of all the food served in wedding dinners that I have ever attended.

I am extremely ashamed about this and I would not know how to answer my friends when they reveal me as a lying idiot. Besides the food, the services in Kam Ling was terrible and all the performances were watered down to downright hideous due to the clashing sound waves throughout the hall. People were just clapping to give face instead of clapping from the heart.

I have made my declaration to my friends that I would not attend their wedding dinners if they held it in Kam Ling in the future! Kam Ling has became too cocky due to our loyal support and they actually dared to serve me with a second (third rate even) rate food. The only redeeming point was that I was able to catch up with some friends which I have not seen for a very long time... and get first hand news on some coming weddings that I'm supposed to attend (which hopefully I'm invited)... so I need to save my annual leaves now...

Anyhow, to the loving couple... I wish them a lifelong of happiness and as I have always said... it is more important to have a happy marriage than a perfect wedding :P

4 comments:

iamthewitch said...

Bamboo! Thanks for giving such an honest review on the food! I personally didn't have much chance eating the food (typical) but I got mixed reviews about it. Most outstation guests complimented the food while the locals condemned it. I suppose we Kamparians have much higher standards when it comes to good food eh? :P AND yes, the acoustics and the mic were TERRIBLE!!!!!

Unknown said...

Bamboo, I really think the food was not bad at all, I actually think it was quite nice and decent! I have tasted some really bad food at my cousin's wedding at one of the restaurant. It was pretty bad until almost every dish was left with food, omg.

I have to give my hat off to Mei Yee and Ong for their brilliant performance. If you didn't know, she was the conductor and pianist back then in our choir team. You did a great job, Mei Yee and Ong! :) I wish I could sing like that in front of so many relatives and friends hehe. And you look like a superstar that night! :)

Bamboo said...

iamthewitch: yeah, it's the same on my side too... outstation people said the food was quite nice while most of those at our table find it lack of standard.

Niki: I supposed when compared to some, Kam Ling's food is better, but we, Kamparians have our own standard mah... and the food served that night is NOT representative of Kampar's food and Kam Ling is supposed to be the Big Three restaurants in Kampar...

meifong said...

Sorry it took me so long to read this post! I am impressed by the attention you paid to the food and even when each dish was supposed to be served. I think the food was ok..lol.

Your camera is quite good considering how clear the long range shot of MY and Ong singing came out lol. Mine totally failed.