Monday, December 8, 2008

Movie Review 11: Bolt the Krypto wannabe

Title: Bolt

Director: Chris Williams & Byron Howard

Running Time: 1 hour 36 minutes

Genre: Animation

To tell the truth, this movie is not my first choice when I was presented with various new movies during the long holidays. However, due to time factor, I was forced to choose this movie. Of course, this doesn't mean that it is a bad movie. I am always a sucker for animation... especially those of comedy genre.

Anyway, it would have been better if I hadn't read the sypnosis of the movie since it sort of make the beginning of the movie to be quite cliched. As a result, I was not impressed with the introduction of the movie.

However, when the main plot really started, the fun begins. It is not exactly funny all the way, by the jokes are neatly spaced in between actions and plot. I have always thought that when a dog is tilting its head, it's sort of just looking at us and thinking "What the hell is this human trying to tell me?" However, after watching the movie, only I know that it is a way of begging. I thought that begging was defined by a dog sitting on its hind legs and raising its front paws. See? At least this movie would make you a better dog owner! :P

Anyway, for those who didn't know it, Bolt (John Travolta) is a movie dog who apparently thought that the dangers he faced in the movie is real. Thus, when he was mistakenly transported out of the filming place, he attempted to save his owner whom he thought was abducted by the "Man with a green eye". Along the way, he met with a declawed cat, Mittens (Susie Essan) and Rhino (Mark Walton), a tv-obsessed hamster who apparently can run faster than a car in his ball. Together, they traveled back to the movie location, while Bolt realised his 'super powers' are all fake. Well, I supposed you can guess what happens in the end... afterall, it's a children movie.

That said, it does have its touching moments... I think I cried (again) at several touching scences. So, it's touching, funny and adventurous... enough said.

Observation: Rhino was actually able to chase up a speeding truck to bust Bolt out of his jail... how is that possible?

Bottomline: Again, a nice family movie if you have children with you... or is a dog lover.

Bamboo Ranking: 3.5 / 5.0

No comments: