Monday, October 13, 2008

X-Gen Chefs

It has been almost two years since I last cooked a dish. The reason is all the houses that I rented does not have fully equipped kitchen. Thus, when the Witch mentioned Doryfish's house, I jumped at the opprotunity :P.

We came up with this idea of pot luck dinner... meaning each person will cook one dish and grouped together to make one complete meal. Needless to say, I offered to make my famous Bamboo specialty... Honey Chicken. Those who know me, would know that I brag a lot... not that I'm being arrogant... I was just providing some comic relief. However, it is the truth when I say that my Honey Chicken is one of the best D grade dish around. This dish was specially created for my cooking competition where the ingredients are unknown to contestants until the day of the competition itself. Thus, I created this dish, which uses only the most basic ingredients. Alas, I did not win the competition, but the judge did come personally to praise my cooking skills :P.

Of course, apart from Honey Chicken, I know how to cook several C grade dishes and two B grade dish. However, these C grade and above dishes needed quite long preparation time and special ingredients. Thus, I opt not to dazzle my lunch buddies with these dishes.

On the day itself, I went to Jusco to purchase my chicken. However, there were only four options for me... drumstick, wing, breast and whole. I chose chicken breast. Later only I realized my mistake in choosing chicken breast. In my previous cookings, I always use chicken wings. However, I misinterpreted Doryfish's meaning when she said she does not eat chicken wings. Chicken breast are used mostly for soup and not for frying du
e to their rough and dry interior.

Anyway, I prepped the chicken back in my house. I was really shocked that the chicken from Jusco still have lots of small feathers stuck to the skin. It took me nearly half an hour to throughly clean the chicken.

When the time came, I drove to Doryfish's place according to the map that the Witch gave me. Following are the pictures taken from the event:-

Doryfish and the Witch preparing the meals

A view from Doryfish's place...

The Witch brewing her potions...

See the Witch's sinister smile as she pours in her 'special' sauces?

Doryfish's turn in the kitchen...

Doryfish posing a professional chef pose...

What the Witch did when Doryfish is toiling in the kitchen :P

Finally, the dishes are all cooked... first, is the Witch's pork chops and her 'special' sauce

My fried chicken without the sauce...

The complete stunning Honey Chicken... looks like prepared by a real pro chef :P

Doryfish's mushroom...

Doryfish's spare ribs groundnuts soup

The final complete meal setting...

Needless to say, the Witch is the first to eat... :P

We were so lucky! It was Doryfish's bf birthday the day before our pot luck and thus, we were able to taste the delicious ice cream cake from Baskin' Robbins!

So, who's the winner? Well, it's a tie. Doryfish, after seeing my dish, wisely pulled out of the competition :P. As I mentioned earlier, the chicken breast in unsuitable for frying and thus, my chicken was dry and rough. However, all agreed that my sauce is heavenly :P.

The Witch's pork chop on the other hand, is nicely grilled... HOWEVER, her 'special' sauce was on the same par of my chicken breasts :P. So, if her meat used my sauce, it would be a perfect combination.

Of course, the Witch insisted that meat is more important than sauce. However, I pointed out that it would be easier for me to perfect my dish since all I had to do is to change the chicken breast into some other body parts while she still haven't figured out the perfect combination of her sauce :P

After that, we were invited into Doryfish's bf special room where there's this really huge projector screen used to watch movies from Blu-Ray format! OMG... so envy... and there's a PS3 too! I have this sudden urge to rush to the nearest Sony Center to purchase the PS3 d... and we watch this old movie called "Dark City". It is really apparent to see the difference between a Blu-Ray disc and a normal disc. When watching this movie, I was able to watch some great details on things that would normally be unavailable in old movies.

All things considered, it was a great activity. Unfortunately, at 4am, I woke up with the need to visit the toilet several times... now, I'm looking for someone to blame... myself not included of course :P

6 comments:

iamthewitch said...

Eh what do you mean Needless to say, witch is the first to eat! :P Anyway, you had diarrhea after that ar? I was OK... that could mean you ate something else before the dinner? Or after? :P

CY said...

bamboo, i have to agree that the sauce of your dish looks superb.

care to share the recipe with this lonely old soul in the States?

the porkchop looks a tad dry ... or is it just my cantonese taste buds.

Anonymous said...

bamboo : Eh, "wisely pulled out of the competition?" Ahem, you and the witch are competiting which meat dishes are delicious only :P To me, it was a group pot luck. Moreover, I was forced to cook veggie since you two are cooking meats! :P tsk tsk tsk. Im ok wor. my bf also ok. So, you must have eaten something bad before that. kakakakak. Go get your 29" tv and ps3

Bamboo said...

iamthewitch & doryfish: I din eat anything for lunch... maybe that's why? Or it's the cocoction made by the Witch that works only on innocent soul like me? :P

cy: Recipe ah... well, fry the chicken until golden brown. Then make the sauce... the sauce is 3 parts sugar, 2 parts soy sauce and 1 part water. Please use small fire for first timers... stir the sauce in a wok or whatever until it thickens, put in the chicken, stir for a while and voila... the best D grade dish ever made on Earth... and please call it Bamboo's Special Honey Chicken as a tribute to me :P

Unknown said...

What do you mean by the different grades of the food ?

Bamboo said...

hsiang: To me, food are split into different grades according to what is being cooked and the complexity involved. So, a dish like "Buddha Leaping Wall" (don't know how to translate it :P) would be considered as A class dish while my honey chicken although tasted supreme, is still considered as D class only.