Thursday, October 30, 2008

First Blind, Then Deaf

Sigh, this body of mine is getting worse everyday. Previously, I talked about how I had problems with my eyesight and today, I found out that I'm partially deaf! Now I know why when everyone at my age is enjoying music while I thought of them as just loud gibberish. And why I can't listen clear enough when watching tv series if there're no subtitles.

My lunch buddies were talking about ringtones that were set into a certain frequencies and that older people won't be able to hear them. Actually, it isn't really anything new. I remembered watching this Hong Kong tv series by Bobby Au that mentioned this too. Basically, younger people are able to listen to higher frequencies while the older ones would have a lower frequency hearing range. Which is one of the reason the elderly do not like the latest pop music. They would not be able to enjoy the full quality of a high quality CD music because they can only listen to a limited range of the frequencies emitted by the CD player.

I should not have been so busybody. Curious, I googled for these frequency hearing test and I found several. However, I found this one test which indicated the frequency range that a person of certain age should be able to hear. You can find it here:
http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/

However, I must warn all who visit this website that I will not be held liable if you fell into a depressing state... just like me. Sigh... my maximum hearing frequency is actually 15kHz!!! That's for those at 39 years old... my hearing capability is actually more than a decade older!!!

Argh... isn't it enough that my eyesight is so poor that I'm almost blind and I look old with my poor complexion? Now my hearing too???!!!! What did I do to receive such punishment????!!!! I have always dislike loud music. I rarely listen using earphones and I started to use handphones only 3 years ago and I use it rarely too.

So, why did my hearing deteriorate so much? This is unacceptable. I demand an explaination!!! Hmmm.... or maybe the classifications are wrong? Well, you guys take the test and then tell me how it is. Maybe my hearing is actually the best amongst others... that just make my day! :P

6 comments:

Yin Hoon said...

Hey interesting test! Accurate too! The frequency that I could hear matches with my age! Hmmm... perhaps you should check your ears?

Bamboo said...

yin hoon: Matching your age? You mean 10kHz (60 yrs old) or 8kHz (all ages)? :P... it can't be... must be my computer sound card got problem... will check it again with my super laptop!!!

Yin Hoon said...

Wanna trap me to reveal my age here? No way! :p

Unknown said...

I could hear the 22khz though. He he. I think you better go for super thorough medical checkup !!

Anonymous said...

bamboo, i can hear till 17.4Hz!!! 18Hz.slightly only. hohohoho...kekekkeke...too bad la. need to accept the fact. That's why i was telling you i do not like the friction sound made by the spoon and fork.

Bamboo said...

Apparently, I can listen up till 18kHz too. The thing is, when I listened to the tunes the first time, my speaker volume was only at 10%. So, i dialed it up to 30% and voila... straight up to 18kHz. So, fret not... my hearing is still in its teens :P