Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Day When Bamboo Went Blind... Almost

Okay, the title was a little bit exaggerated... but it's the truth that something bad and mysterious happened to my vision on last Sunday. As usual, I woke up early that morning and went hiking. There's nothing noticeable wrong with my visions. Then, I went to have breakfast... I had half-boiled egg and toasted bread for breakfast.

After that, I went back to have a shower and out of boredom, I went to Coffee Bean to go online with my laptop. Up until that point, that day was just like any other... nothing out of ordinary... just the plain old boring schedule.

However, when I left Coffee Bean at around 12 afternoon, I almost fell to the ground. My eyes were unable to focus at all! Immediately, I sat down and check my spectacles. Sometimes, my spectacles would get dirty and will somewhat distort my vision (though I have never experienced one that can upset my balance). Sure, the glasses were a little bit dirty and I used a napkin to clean it.

I put my clean glasses on and I 'saw' the same thing again... I am able to see things but it's like my eyes were acting out of sync and I was unable to focus on details like words. I don't really know how else to explain it. It was almost like seeing a double of everything except that I was not! It was like looking at things when I go cross-eyed and yet, it wasn't really like that. I just can't make out details but I have no problem seeing things. I tried to read this novel I had with me and I kept on reading two lines at once!

I was really afraid and I checked my eyes one by one and they worked fine! I was really baffled. By now, I was already having some pretty disturbing thoughts on what could have caused this unnatural disorder. Maybe not enough sleep? But I have tried not sleeping for 36 hours straight and this thing never happened to me.

Then I thought of the pot luck dinner yesterday and thought... food poisoning... but that had to be one good poison to have these effects. Or maybe the Witch's evil brewed potions did work afterall???!!!!! Maybe I slept in an unatural position and thus my blood vessel or brain was somehow dislodged, moved, disoriented?

Or maybe I pushed myself too hard during hiking? Or my history in consuming huge amounts of sugar has finally caught up with me and I'm going blind? I heard that one can go blind during the final stages of diabetes... but I don't have diabetes (as of May 2008) Or has my vision deteriorated so much that even glasses will not help me correct my visions? Was it a curse? Is the end near? Did I expose my eyes to toxic fumes? Will this be the new disease where they'll name it after me? And no, I did not do drugs!!!

Anyway, baffled by all these, I decided to go home and have a good sleep... and thus maybe somehow my body would naturally correct this disorder. You have no idea how difficult it is to drive partially blind... well, I was not exactly blind... it's just that if I was hit by a car, I woin't be able to read it's car plate at all... also, I was unable to read the road signs... of course, being a regular driver of these roads every week does come in handy. I slept for 3 hours and woke up still with the unnatural vision!

Okay, so my next option would have to be the hospital, I thought. But being a really stubborn person, I refuse to seek out professional help. Well, the last thing that I did before getting this 'sickness' was going online. So, I thought maybe it's the laptop's harmful rays that cause it. And as the Chinese saying goes, "to cure poison, you must use poison." So, I attempted to play pc games with my laptop!

An hour later, my troubling vision seemed to have improved! Since it was already late and I still did not have dinner (I skipped lunch :( ), I decided to go online while having dinner to continue this 'special' healing process. However, I passed by an optometrist shop and I remembered my glasses were a little bit twisted since I accidentally sat on it :P. So, I entered the shop and requested the staff there to repair my glasses. Lo and behold, after repairing my glasses, I found my vision returning back to normal!

But surely it can't be due to the glasses since I was wearing the same pair in the morning when my eyesight deteriorated. My eyesight was okay before breakfast and deteriorated after breakfast while my glasses still remain the same! I really cannot figure out this mysterious encounter.

My final conclusion is that maybe my "laptop medication" corrected my eyesight and it took some time for it to become normal... however, this meant that the underlying problem is not solved! Luckily all these were temporarily solved before attending my 2-day training course or else I really don't know what to do.

7 comments:

iamthewitch said...

Eh you better go and check your eyes with the doctor ok... You'll never know if the same incident could happen again. It is dangerous!

Yin Hoon said...

Not sure what happened. Do you have headache besides the visual problems? Ya, maybe you should go see a doctor.

Anonymous said...

poor thing and it sounded scary!! Ya, you should go check your eyes k. and Sleep well

Bamboo said...

iamthewitch ,yih hoon & iamdoryfish: Thanks for your concerns. However, since there's no problem now, I doubt the doc will find anything wrong with me... anyway, if it reoccur, I will definitely seek professional help lah... besides, I'm planning to do Lasik next year... so can check if there's any problem with my eyes... at the same price! ... two birds at one throw.

meifong said...

Definitely get your eyes checked out man....

Unknown said...

Should have read this before I visited the island =P

Bamboo said...

meifong: thanks for your concern... i will if it happens again

hsiang: it was just a one time thing lah... din happen again :P