Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Witch's Farewell (Meal 3)

Well, by now you must be thinking that my post which is titled 'Witch's Farewell Meal' has nothing to do with the Witch at all. All I have mentioned is what we ate... no dedication, no memories... nothing at all! So, I'm going to dedicate one whole paragraph which will talk about the Witch only!

Well, I got to know the Witch since secondary school... though I don't really remember how the Witch got her nickname... anyway, she has always been one of the symbolic Petronas Twin Towers in class... Hamdan and the Witch who were the tallest in class were always dubbed as the twin towers (after it was build of course). Anyway, we were in the same uniformed group... St. John Ambulance and I think I sort of got to know her through Corinne... another mutual friend of ours. She is one of the few rare people who were fortunate enough to hear my rendition of "My Heart Will Go On" :P. Well, now cannot really sing that anymore... lost my melodious voice to the fried food d :(. She was also my assistant when... assistant class monitor lah... though her duties were pretty much restricted to cleaning up the blackboard :P. But truth to tell, we did not really interact too much in secondary school except for the occasional mindless chatter :P.

Our class will normally be divided into several groups on the occasion the teacher did not come to teach (which now that I think of it, is quite often :P) she would group together with Mei Fong, May Foong and Corinne and I would join the nerd group... there were around 10 guys or so in our class... so it's either the nerd group or the 'samseng' group (no offense intended to those guys... who by the way turned out just fine :P)... we (the nerd group) would get together to talk about the novels we've read and we also made a D&D RPG group too. We would use our eraser to turn it into dice so that we can play the D&D (Dungeons and Dragons) game... and one of them was the future head prefect! And Mei Yee's group would most probably chat on teen idols, latest fashions, dramas and 'girl' stuff ler. And I could have been her senior in UTP too! I attended interview for UTP for the first batch using trial exam results... but alas, my trial results were less than average and they offered me an IT course so I turned them down and went to Sunway instead. Anyway, I got to know the Witch well only after I start to work in the same company as her... alas, time was too short and just after one year, she's gone :(.

See? Those are two very long paragraph dedicated only to the Witch... now, back to more serious matters :P.

The third and final farewell meal that I had to with Witch and friends is at Kim Gary Restaurant... which surprisingly is my cheapest meal! I had been to Kim Gary five times and eaten five different things and it is my professional opinion that one should not eat there!

I still remember the time when I ordered a cheese baked rice and I actually did not manage to finish it! I mean, it's cheese, and I absolutely love cheese and if I did not finish it, it means it's really, really terrible... don't believe me, go there and try it yourself... especially the curry cheese... it's just unbelievable (not in a good way). The cheese is actually a separate entity from the rice... by definition, the cheese is supposed to be baked with rice and thus, the cheese is supposed to melt and merge with the rice itself! In the curry cheese, they will give you a plate of plain rice and another plate of diluted, watery curry that has only a small presence of cheese... and the potato was not even fully cooked! I hope i won't get sued by Kim Gary :P but then again, it's not as if my opinion carries any weight at all since Doryfish and the Witch vehemently deny my assessment of Kim Gary's food.

Anyway, on that day... I ordered a newly introduced meal... Satay Sauce Udon... okay even the name sounds bad and normally I would not order such a thing except that the meal I ordered is unavailable and I was in a hurry to choose a replacement meal... afterall, we were eating outside during lunch time in a working day... and we're supposed to have 1 hour to finish our lunch.

And true to its name, the Satay Sauce Udon is bordering on the state of inedible... okay, that was exaggerating :P. It's relatively cheap... around RM6-RM8 but still, I kept on wondering how a restaurant that serves such quality of food managed to become a franchise... and there are always long queues waiting to eat the food... come one people, can't you guys even differentiate between a delicious meal and a terrible one? I love satay but the satay soup they serve is... well, let's just say that there is a whole lot of room for improvement.

Well, that is not to say that all the food is bad... Kim Gary's french toast, thick toast and ham sandwich is quite nice (though the pricing is of another matter :P)

Anyway, I did not have my camera that day, and thus the pics below are from Witch's camera... I know, I know, it's obviously of lower quality than my pictures but hey, beggars can't be choosers, right? :P

One of the few relatively rare picture that does not show my full blown face... seriously, I look so much nicer when my picture is taken at my natural pose :P. The other two are my current most loyal lunch mates...

The Witch and her coven :P

Witch's last lunch with us... Stone Grilled Something :P... all I remembered is that there is a small octopus :P... you really should try the Sakae Sushi's Bibimba... looks and smell much nicer :P

Some card and photo frame with photo that we gave as a farewell gift... which I'm sure is now sitting in a dark corner collecting dust... actually I would be horrified if she show my horrible face to the public... can get sued for revealing horrifying things in front of children you know :P

The lunch gang... only without me... the Witch did not invite me to take this photo... sob... sob... :(

Well, that's all folks... Witch... wish you the best in your future endeavours... OMG that is so cliched! :P

8 comments:

iamthewitch said...

Ok lah ok lah, since there was always a mention of how 'expensive' the farewell meals were, I'll give you a nice treat when you come to KL. :) And no, the picture is not hidden! It is in fact on my working desk in the office, clearly visible to all. :P So far, no one fainted yet. LOL. Anyway, I miss having you as my lunch mate! And just to let you know that I gave you an award for your blog. :))

Bamboo said...

iamthewitch: okay, i'll be sure to look out for your 'nice treat' and thanks for the award.

Superman said...

I miss Kim Gary and the food. Can't get here over in Sarawak. Nice to see a bunch of friends having a nice get together.

CY said...

ah the good old days when we were still school going kids.
fear not bamboo, i agree with you about the food in Kim Gary. They suck.

Bamboo said...

superman: which food by Kim Gary are you talking about? I still can't find one thing that they can do nicely... except for the bread :P

CY: Finally! Someone who know that a popular restaurant does not necessary serve good food! High five!

iamdoryfish said...

oi, we called your ext, when we were taking the photos, but you were not around only. :( too bad

Bamboo said...

iamdoryfish: I guess we will never know :P :P :P

meifong said...

Thanks for bringing up our secondary school days! I still remember our school disciplinary teacher who also taught us Form 5 Physics saying that the time spent in secondary school as well as the friends we make there will be sorely missed! It was not hard to believe it at the time, but i have to admit I'd underestimated the truth of his words!