Saturday, January 3, 2009

Three Polices in Four Days!

Yo, I'm back to the online community! Unfortunately, I left my camera in Rainbow's house so my report on my friend's wedding will have to wait.

Well, the most bizarre thing happened to me for the past four days. I have always been a law-abiding citizen and thus my encounters with the law enforcement side is minimal at best. However, I met with three different police for the past four days!

First, I had to meet with an uniformed officer to make a report on my missing passport. She was surprisingly chatty compared to my encounter with Prai police when I made a report on a car accident. This policewoman even complained to me that the server always break down and she always had to retype reports again and again :P. Anyway, the helped me rephrase the words in the report and she was occasionally dazzling me with her smile. (I'll make another post on what to do if you lose a passport later when I actually got one :P).

I also had the opportunity to see a lot, and I mean a lot of people being brought into the jail. Mostly are foreigners which I presume had no official papers to be in Malaysia. The police, however, in my opinion were to comfortable with them. They actually had their back faced to the prisoners without anyone else to look after them when he open the door to the jail! Sure, they couldn't have managed to escape the police station if they wanted to, but what if they grabbed a pair of scissors and held me hostage? I was just sitting several feet away from them!

After making the report and reaching home, I got a phone call from an investigating officer who wanted me to come for an 'interview' about my lost passport. I was expecting an interrogation but it turned out to be really an interview. She basically asked me about my family, my sister and stuff. Luckily she didn't ask which course my sister is studying as I had no idea :P. But she did ask me about the schools me and my sister study in, and the jobs I have done and so on. One thing I noticed is that they are not very well equipped. I was trying to hand a pen drive to her which contained my scan copy of the lost passport and she seemed to be unable to find a computer to access the files!

My final encounter is with a traffic police. I was caught in a speed trap! Here, I will put all the blame on my friends whom I took to Malacca with me to the wedding dinner. Basically, we had tight time constraint when we traveled to Malacca and thus my friends said that I can drive up to 120km/hr as the speed trap had a 10km/hr tolerance. I have always driven at 105km/hr maximum at all times. What they did not realize is that their assumption is based on the theory that the speed trap is in perfect condition. The tolerance is there for a reason and that is for when the speed trap itself is not accurate. Thus, if the speed trap measured 120km/hr when I was actually driving at 110km/hr, the police will note that I was still driving within limits because when he minus the 10km/hr tolerance, I'm still driving at 110km/hr. If I drive at 120km/hr, it is possible the speed trap will register 130km/hr (due to inaccuracy) and even with the 10km/hr adjustment, I will still be driving at 120km/hr!

Anyway,I got stopped the first time in the highway and I was damn scared. Then this police officer came up to me and told me that I was speeding and was driving at 120km/hr. I just smiled and neither nodded nor denying it because I had no idea what speed I was driving at that time :P. Anyway, he actually asked me if it is okay for him to give me a speeding ticket which is RM300! Is that normal? This is my first encounter so I don't know how to react. So I just nodded and he was asking me what is my job and where I'm heading and what's the load of luggage doing in the back of my car. He even asked me if I'm married and why I'm not married at 28 (he made a calculation mistake) when I said I'm still single!. Luckily he didn't check the luggage or he'll find loads of "DVDs" :P.

Well, the only thing left for me to do is to act innocent, which is of no difficulty at all :P. I gave him my most wide-eyed innocent look and the sweetest smile (a female might have a better result, I guess :P)... and he suddenly said he's going to let me go on a warning this time. I was shocked... and he had to repeat the statement again before I drove away from the other speed maniacs that were stopped by the side of the road!

Well, the moral of this story is that there is nothing to be afraid of the police as long as you're a law-abiding citizen like me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually he's waiting for u to answer him in a this way:
Bamboo:"Tolonglah Tuan, kasi chance!!"
Police:"Macam mana tolong, i tolong lu, lu tolong aku balik la.."
From here on, u'll know what to do, else he will sure give u further instruction such as passing u his summon booklet, while asking u to put in certain amount of $$.
This is the common way to treat our local great police force. hehe.
But in ur case, u're pretty lucky,either ur car is loaded with gorgeous ladies or u're his cup of bamboo TEA..haha

Bamboo said...

myloonatic: Well, he seemed such a nice policeman... he doesn't have those "you're guilty and I'm bringing you down" kind of look which is what how the one who stopped my car looked like. Besides, I'll be keeping an eye on my speedometer from now onwards and keep it at 105km/hr... so it won't happen again.