Thursday, January 29, 2009

Movie Review 17: All's Well End's Well 2009

Title: All's Well End's Well 2009

Director: Vincent Kok

Running Time: 1 hour 33 minutes

Genre: Comedy

Well, after 12 years since the last 1997 movie, the movie makers made a comeback to cash in on the Chinese New Year. Truth to be told, my memories of the previous version of All's Well End's Well (AWEW) is quite muddy although I still remembered the one where Stephen Chow act as a lunatic brother who was trying to scare his brothers in cheating him on a lottery ticket.

Anyway, this movie is about Kei (Ronald Cheng) who asked Koo (Louis Koo), a love consultant to court his sister (Sandra Ng) in order to break the curse where if Kei's sister is unmarried, misfortune would befall on Kei's girlfriend.

Basically, it is mostly a "mou lei tau" comedy. Do not expect any brilliant jokes or wonderful script. However, I did have a good time when watching the movie. Sure, there are some parts where it's just lame (especially the beginning and the end), but you would find yourself genuinely laughing on and off throughout the movie. I think one of the best scene is where Sandra Ng's parents were attempting to purchase a spinster insurance for their daughter. I laughed really a lot at that scene, though my friends who watched with me beg to differ.

However, I think it is important to watch this movie in a filled cinema. It won't feel just as funny if the other movie patrons are not laughing along with you. So, catch this movie before the holidays are over (for students and those who took annual leaves lah).

Observation: Note Sandra Ng's moustache in the insurance scene :P

Bottomline: Nothing brilliant, but still a funny movie.

Bamboo Rating: 3.0 / 5.0

2 comments:

Yin Hoon said...

If I'm not mistaken, the Stephen Chow lottery ticket scam was not in the first AWEW, but the second... well, I'm actually a little confused haha..

I agree with you on the insurance scene hahaha.. though the others preferred the 'symptom' scene :p

But I think I would have enjoyed it more if I haven't read the synopsis before... still... I had a great time this CNY!

Bamboo said...

yin hoon: Yup, I had a good time too... it's more of watching with friends that makes the movie more fun!