Friday, January 9, 2009

Things I Want to do in Year 2009

This is not a new year resolution. I hate new year resolutions. And there's this article that says new year resolutions actually will adversely affect one's psychology. Besides, if I want to change or do something, I usually do it right there and then... there's no point in waiting for new year to come to better oneself.

This is actually a long list of things that I wanted to do and by posting this online, my 'helpful' friends can stick their noses in my business and hopefully it would help me in achieving my objective. Well, that's what some highly paid doctor said... peers would help one to achieve greater heights!

Well, here are the things that I want to do:-

1. Lose 15kg by May 2009

Summary: Well, losing weight is sort of a really cliched thingy for me. Every year I vowed to do it and every year, I ended up getting heavier and heavier... and now that I've finally reached my 80's I hope that it's an enough drive for me to bust the fat!

Strategy: (a) Go green! I vow that I will become a vegetarian until I reach my target weight!... okay, maybe a nibble now and then :P.

(b) Exercise, exercise and exercise. Until my trip to Sabah last year, I have not exercise even a single day. My preparation to climb Mt. Kinabalu and participating in marathon run got my engines running. I'm now on a regular once a week hiking at a hill near my place. Will go to gym at least twice a week.

2. Relearn Mandarin

Summary: I have no idea why so many people are able to speak Mandarin fluently but unable to read or write. Me, I am able to speak terribly, read some simple words and write less than a hundred words... in other words, a half bucket of water (Cantonese translation)! Being one of the 5 international languages, if I am able to speak, write and read Mandarin fluently, I would then know 2 out of 5 of the international languages!

Strategy: (a) Read mandarin newspaper, listen to Mandarin music and watch lots of Taiwan Idol tv series! Having fun while learning is the way to go!

3. A book a month

Summary: It has been years since I have touched any reference books. Everytime I went back to hometown, I would enthusiastically take some of my reference books back so I can read them when I'm free. Alas, it turned out that I would rather sleep than open a book full of knowledge!

Strategy: (a) Stop buying novels and magazines. I am unable to eat alone without any reading material. So, hopefully, by starting to read, it would perk my interest again and start to actually read some useful stuff apart from those fantasy novels that have me dreaming all the time!

4. Finish the first book of my novel.

Summary: It has been three years since I started writing a novel... and I'm just in Chapter 2! Something must be done if I were to finish my trilogies before age of 30!

Strategy: (a) No writing, no games. Force myself to refrain from playing games unless I manage to procure at least one A4, 1.5 spacing, font 12 page filled with words. If i want to play games, I'll need to submit 1 page which will allow me to play for 1 hour.

5. Actually start to save money

Summary: I have been losing money since my graduation... meaning I now have less cash in bank compared to when I graduated. How is that even possible?

Strategy: (a) Follow the steps above. If I were to eat only greens, spend my free time reading reference books and writing my novel, I would be able to save lots of money which I suspected I spend most on food.

8 comments:

CY said...

welcome to the 80's :P
that is sure one huge list. other than the weight loss programme, the hardest thing in that list i guess would be the a reference book a month!

anyways, all the best! and stay off those dried meat during CNY! :P

Anonymous said...

CY: finally u got someone same category with u , congrats...but i doubt u're still in 80's since last time i saw u...u're in perfectly body shape...
Bamboo: may ur wish come true...stop eating daging salai...huahaha

Yin Hoon said...

Well, better have a kick-start on the book you're writing (or is it planning to write? :p) if you wanna be the J.K. Rowling of Malaysia hehehe....

Bamboo said...

CY: Yeah, sitting there and just read in my non-air conditioned room is difficult to concentrate :P

myloonatic: yes, not purchasing any meat related products for CNY this year!

yin hoon: It's in progress already... and I won't be J.K. Rowling of Malaysia... I'll be the Great Bamboo of Malaysia! :P

Anonymous said...

bamboo! gambateh gambateh! let's speak mandarin together! kakakakak, and i will help to monitor your lunch intake! :P

Bamboo said...

iamdoryfish: Thanks dear!

meifong said...

I like your proposed method of learning Mandarin by watching Taiwanese series! Certainly sounds like fun!

Bamboo said...

meifong: of course, but won't be so effective to girls 'cause they'll just be staring at their idols and not pay attention to the words :P