Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Lost and Found - First Encounter

I know it is clichéd, but there really are good people in this world… I mean apart from me, of course :P. I am an absent-minded person. Sometimes, I can be so engrossed in something that I totally ignore the surroundings. So, if you see me outside on the street and I did not greet you even though you smiled at me, chances are my conscious self is living in another world.

Sometimes, I would take my trash from my room to the outside when I’m leaving the house. I live in a double-storey terrace house and the front door is always locked. So, I would sometimes put down the trash, open the door and step right out without the trash in my hands. I would walk to my car and it would take a while for me to realize that the bag of trash is still lying in the living room. Luckily, so far, I still managed to remember about the trash (I think so) and I went back to take the trash out before my housemates see my trash stinking up the living room.

There are also times when I forgot to lock my car when I left it parked in a secluded area since the car park in front of my house is being used by my other housemates. I never use the expensive steering wheel lock that my parents forced me to buy. I’m also very careless with my wallet and it is always lying around in the house. Of course, I would rather say that I am inherently trusting of humans and is just not aware that there are actually bad people, even though they are someone close to you.

Anyway, enough blabbering… what I would like to share is my first ever wallet lost and found experience. I know it’s nothing new, but experiencing it from a first person perspective is very different from reading it. It was a windy Sunday and I was in my usual place having my breakfast and going online with my laptop. I don’t know why, but at some point, I decided to take my wallet out and have a look. What happened from this point onwards is a little bit fuzzy. I might have just placed my wallet on the sofa and left or I might have placed my wallet into my back pocket but it slipped right out again.

Without realizing that my wallet is gone from my pocket, I packed my laptop and went to a bookstore. I browsed through the magazines but did not find anything of interest. I’m glad I didn’t. It would be so embarrassing if I bought something and realized that I don’t have any money on me. Anyway, I was taking the escalators to the car park upstairs when I reached for my wallet to take out the car park ticket when I found it’s not in my back pocket. Starting to panic, I searched my laptop bag… and nothing!

By this time, I was already sweating. I was overwhelmed by the possibility of losing my wallet. I don’t really have a lot of cash in my wallet, but the loss of my credit cards, ATM cards, discount cards and my Identification Card would greatly inconvenience me. I would have to call to cancel my credit cards, ATM cards and maybe my discount cards. Then, I would need to go to the police station (which I have no idea where), and then go to the National Registration Department to get a new IC and then go to the JPJ to get a new license. I would need to take several days of leaves to settle these things and I’m in the middle of a crisis in my project which would look really bad… not to mention that technically I do not have paid leaves yet. I’m supposed to have work in my new company for six months before being able to utilize my annual leaves… hello… anyone heard of advance leave?

I retraced my steps by going to the toilet and to the bookstore. Not unexpectedly, I did not find it. If my wallet is lying on the ground in the shopping mall, I’m sure it would have disappeared faster than I can say ‘Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis’ (coined to be the longest word). Finally, I reached my starting point, which is where I had my breakfast. Being a regular customer there, I was hoping the waitress would have noticed my wallet and kept it in the counter. First, I was looking around the place where I sat, where luckily, no one is sitting. I was muttering all forms of prayers and blessings so that I can see that black wallet of mine. To my dismay, I found none. I was going to walk to the counter when an aunty holding a baby boy called out to me.

My heart was thumping out of my chest as I approach this woman in her mid-40s. She asked “Are you looking for your wallet?” “Yes!” I could barely contain my excitement. Apparently, her husband had gone to the Jusco service counter to make an announcement about my missing wallet. Well, they should have just given it to the shop owner, but hey, I’m thankful for such honest people. So, she called her husband and he came back and handed my wallet back to me. He should have check for identification before giving me back my wallet lah… but then again, only the one who lost their wallet would be coming to look for the wallet… sigh… I’m such an ungrateful bastard. His wife kept on asking me to check the money inside to see if any is missing. The problem is, I don’t really know how much I have inside my wallet. :P Also, I don’t want to offend them by being mistrustful of them so I said it’s correct without checking.

Even if my wallet doesn’t have any cash in it, I would be just glad to get back all my cards. Anyway, I thanked them profusely and walked away knowing that there is still a speck of light in this black, dark world. And I came up with this poem on the spot… am I a genius or what? :P

Sword of justice, burn with holy might,
Smite thy evil foe with blinding light,
Burn away darkness that plagues the world,
Prove to us, bleakness bow to your might.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

bamboo, 6a.m??OMG :P
Anyway, I am glad that you found your wallet back! Happy to know there are still honest ppl ard. :D kekekek, how come you never mentioned during lunch? Must be me, too talkative. kakakakka

Bamboo said...

iamdoryfish: aiyoh, already mentioned in the blog d mah. If I tell everything then you won't visit my blog d :P

iamthewitch said...

Wah don't be so forgetful again next time! Once bitten, twice shy

Bamboo said...

iamwitch: or believe in that people will find and return your wallet to you! :P