Sunday, June 8, 2008

2nd hiking...

7th June 2008
6:30: The alarm clock went off… I’m sure that time moves differently when one is asleep… Well, surely a few more minutes might not hurt…
6:35: My hand phone alarm rang. I usually set two alarm clocks so that I won’t oversleep. I knew that this is the final warning. If I continue to sleep, I will never make it to the hill as planned. Dragged myself off the bed by rolling onto the floor… ouch… that pain really helped in jolting my senses awake...
6:50: Hmmm… what should I have for breakfast? Milk is a big no… See? I learn from past experiences… well, I’ll just take OJ.
7:00: Went to the gas station to get a bottle of mineral water. Those that I have in my house are 1.5 liters ones and I’m not planning to bring that up the hill anytime soon… bought a 500ml mineral water, bought newspaper and pump air into my car’s tires… heard that a well inflated tire would help to save fuel.
7:30: Reached the bottom of the hill. Fully geared with expensive shirt, wind pants and shoes and armed with my newly bought sports towel and mineral water, I took my first step…
7:35: Finished the part of the trail that was made from tar… almost took a wrong path… but realized it was wrong because no one seemed to walk that path, they went for the trail that is further away… did I take that last week?... well, it’s always correct to follow the majority… who said that lack of sleep would befuddle a mind?
7:40: Just went past a group of females in their twenties… they were already out of breath, and sitting on the forest floor… was I like that last week?... I don’t think so… looked at my watch, 10 minutes and still going strong… who is breathing so noisy?
7:43: Why am I doing this? This is just hell! I’ll just phone my friends and tell them they can continue their crazed plan of conquering Mount Kinabalu without me… the trip has already cost me around RM3000 since I need to take unpaid leaves and I will not spend that much money to suffer like that… arrgghhh… did not bring my hand phone with me… well, I’ll just call them when I go back down… should I go down now? Well, I’m already more than halfway there…
7:45: My legs are starting to act like it was last week. I explained to my friend last week that it felt like a pile driver… I dragged my feet just high enough to put it above the next step, and stomped it down to the stairs… drag, stomp, drag, stomp, drag, stomp…
7:46: Am I there yet? The trail seems endless… why on earth is that person behind me still following me? Want to see me stop and slump down to the floor? In your dreams bugger…
7:48: Finally overtook that really annoying pair in front of me… they were talking so loud… do you want the whole hill to know that someone in your office is flirting with you? Gosh… get a room… How can she still have breath to shout? Did she have an extra pair of lungs… well, that would explain something…
7:50: Finally have to stop and rest already. Legs are trembling; heart is beating so loud that everyone within a one meter radius would be able to hear it. The cute blue towel is already dripping with my sweat… reminded me of this Chinese kung fu movie I watched… Michelle Yeoh put a piece of cloth into water and suddenly it became as hard as a stick, and beat up all those bad guys… I bet I’m gonna look cool in kicking the bad guys’ asses… now if I can find a bad guy in the middle of nowhere…
7:53: A word of advice… do not stop hiking in midway… it took all my mental energies to get my leg muscles moving again… it’s like driving a car with the handbrake still on…
7:55: I’m going to die alone in the middle of a hill… ah well, at least I’ll be in the newspapers… “Man died while hiking”… cool…
7:56: How high is this hill anyway? Why are there no landmarks or signs or anything? If there’re numbers, at least I know how far I still have to go… note to self… must write a letter of complaint to the Department of Environment… or is it under the Ministry of Tourism… or state government… heck, I’ll just write to the PM himself…
7:58: Whoever invented the word hiking should be hanged to death… why do you need another word for torture?
8:00: Eh? Why are the trees so far apart? And what is the hut doing in the middle of the hill? Hmm… that looks familiar…oh, I reached the top already! Why is there someone sitting on the first bench? Muscles are giving up already… must… find… bench…
8:02 Finally! A bench that is not occupied by sweaty and smelly people… but I didn’t sit on it… I remembered someone who told me that it was detrimental to health if one were to sit down immediately after a tough exercise… I checked my pulse… hmmm… 200 heart beats per minute… I supposed it’s considered as a tough exercise…
8:03: What the heck… if I want to sit, then I’ll sit… I’ll not follow the advice of someone else’s like a dog… sat on the rock bench… if there’s just an Osim massaging chair right now… or a masseuse would be nice… hey, that is one good business idea… I’m such a genius… can even come up with profitable ideas in my current condition…
8:05: Having no one to talk to, I tried to indulge myself in the peace and beauty of the place…
8:06: Well, now I’m 100% sure that I’ll never be a nature lover… I don’t care if the sun is rainbow coloured on top of Mount Kinabalu… there just is no rationale at all behind this stupidity… all that suffering just to see something that you can see everyday… or you can just browse through the thousands of pictures available online taken by professional photographers…
8:07: But at least now I can think of things that I usually don’t have time to think about… I’ll never just sit in my room doing nothing… there’re pc games, tv series, movies, novels waiting for me… so I never really have the time to think about something personal… hmmm… what do I want in my life? I think I’m nearing the state of enlightenment already…
8:15: Well, thinking how many clothes I should take for my trip to Sabah took all my time already… and since my heart is slowing down and I am not pouring out sweat already, I supposed it’s time for me to move downhill…
8:20: I am just feeling so smug about myself… it took me 60 minutes to reach the top of the hill last week… but today it just took me 30 minutes! I cut the time into half! I supposed that deep down inside I always knew that I am a perfectly healthy and fit guy… I just was not in good condition last week… it must be the milk…
8:21: And God just have to make me feel bad… going up the stairs is a seven-year old boy and a six-year old girl jumping up the stairs screaming on top of their lungs to tell their father to go faster… well, if you ask me, I don’t really see the resemblance… they must have been kidnapped by aliens and operated… so, I supposed it is understandable that they are fitter than me…
8:25 I swear that these natural looking steps are made and designed by humans… while I was going uphill, the steps became higher and higher, stretching my almost dead legs to the max… now, as I go downhill, the steps became rockier and rockier and the polished stone looked to be the sort of trap made by humans to cause the hikers to slip and fall… there is a conspiracy here…
8:30: Finally reached the bottom of the hill… almost sprained my ankle twice while going downhill… I really have to get a pair of good shoes… hmmm… it must be the lack of oxygen… I just can’t remember what if felt like while hiking up the hill… surely it is not as bad as I think it was… I supposed it won’t hurt for me to hike again tomorrow… now, what should I eat...

3 comments:

iamthewitch said...

Hey your account is so detailed! Very good diary-writer :P But very interesting indeed... haha... I guess after the 3rd hike, perhaps you might have changed your mind about Kinabalu? :P

Unknown said...

haha, ya, soooooo detailed with every few minutes descriptions! :D
(reached your blog from mei yee's)

Bamboo said...

iamthewitch: still thinking on how to write my 3rd hike... maybe poem style?

iamdoryfish: Welcome aboard! I'll make sure that my every post is interesting and filled with surprises!