Friday, April 10, 2009

Angels & Demons - Book Review


Title: Angels & Demons

Author: Dan Brown

Genre: Sci-Fi, Thriller

Well, I felt that I just had to write about this novel since this is the first non-fantasy novel that I actually like. I must warn you though, this novel would be offensive to those who are really religious. Me? Well, I am also religious, despite the fact I am a non-vegetarian (Buddhism requires one to be a vegetarian). But I don't really mind other people thrashing my religion since I am my own God... which is one of the things mentioned in the novel! Besides, I highly doubt that my God requires my protection :P.

Anyway, despite the title, there are no real angels or demons in this book. Instead, the title reflects more on the nature of humans of their inherent goodness and evil. Just as the statue shown on the book, where it depicts the statue being half angel and half demon, it shows how humans can be both benevolent and evil at the same time.

For those who has read Da Vinci Code, which is also written by the same author, they might find the underlying story familiar. Despite having a different name and theme, it all started out with a dead guy with some strange symbols/carvings by a group of people which was thought dead long ago. In come an academic 'expert' and he/she is on the run, finding clues and unravel the mystery of the century/millennia/lifetime, etc. and there'll be a few twists and turns along the way right up till the end.

So, this novel follow the exact same path with it's main theme on science vs God. The author explores on whether science and God can live harmoniously together and the implications of it. The statements made by the author might be offensive to really devout people... afterall, how many religion can really accept that God is but a small subatomic particle?

So, in order to enjoy this book, you'll need to have an open mind... question not whether what was said is true (because most of them are gibberish and imagination only), but rather explore the world of 'what if'. Do not assume the book is talking about your world... assume that it is talking about a parallel universe... the world of endless imagination.

If you manage to do just that, you'll find yourself reading a really enjoyable book. The plots, daring statements, twists, actions, suspense in this book is mind boggling. You might find yourself not understanding at times (such as the creating nothing into something scenario) but fret not, it is meant to do so because as I said it is just but an imagination... something untrue and thus, the author cannot tell you something in such a clear and concise manner so you could disprove him. However, that is not to say that the author is blurting out baseless nonsense. Refer at the end of this blog to see that the clues mentioned in his book depicting earth, air, fire and water are very real.

This is also the shortest novel I've ever read... I don't mean in term of pages.... excluding the ending chapter of the story, the main event took place in just 24 hours... so the whole 300++ pages (depending which size of the book you buy) is describing an event that happen within just one day! That makes the story compelling and exciting throughout.

I'm pretty sure that the author's comment that the halo around the angels are just but an improved version the rites involving of a pagan sun God will rile up devout Christians all over the world... but hey, Buddha had a halo too... so if I can swallow that, so can you. :P

I just hope that I'll have just as much fun while watching the movie which is due to come out in May 15!

Statue mentioned in the novel in the "Earth" chapel

Drawing providing the clue for "Air"

The clue of "Fire", not the usual fire burning fire... it's the Fire of Passion

Final element... "Water"

No comments: