Thursday, March 26, 2009

Earth Hour... a grand slam or a sham?

Picture by M.Ramos

For those who did not pay attention to any news at all, Earth Hour is to occur at March 28, 2009 8:30pm. This event is created by World Wildlife Fund and is to be held on the last Saturday of March every year. Households and businesses are asked to turn off their non-essential lights and electrical appliances for one hour to raise the awareness towards the need to take action on climate change (source Wikipedia).

This year, there are around 82 countries, and more than 2100 cities that are participating in Earth Hour 2009. Please note that this event is to instill public awareness on global warming and NOT to reduce global warming. Many critics have been lambasting this event with some even saying that the energy saving is equivalent to taking off six cars on the road.

Even though my arguments seemed to be siding with the environmentalists, I have to confess that I will not be 'doing my part' by turning off the lights, tv, laptop and fan in my room. First of all, I am renting a room. So, if I turned off everything, then my room will be stuffy (my room has a very small window) and the mosquitoes will be attacking me immediately. Besides, what am I supposed to do in such an unearthly hour? (no pun intended). It's too early to be sleeping, I can't read, write, listen to music, play games, watch movie, etc... so, am I supposed to just loiter in my room in darkness?

I can go down to the living room sure, but my housemates would never be a part of this programme and thus, even though I turn off the lights in my room, I would be in the living room watching tv under the fan and bright light... so, it will defeat the purpose of not using electricity. I won't bother to be talking to my housemates about this since we're not that close and I'm no environmentalist. Besides they are heavy power users. They would be having a laptop in front of them, with the Streamyx on, and the tv with Astro decoder blaring in front of them.

Of course, even though I am not participating Earth Hour, it doesn't make an an ungrateful bastard who is not thinking of the future generations (which I really am not :P) and is demeaning Mother Earth. I am not participating in it because the Earth Hour has already reached its objective... and that is to create the awareness of global warming. I am aware of it... so, job done, case close :P.

Instead, I would reduce my daily usage of electricity... well, not really, to be more accurate, I will not waste any extra electricity... meaning I will turn off the lights when I leave the room, I will turn off my laptop when I'm not using it, I will not use my laptop and tv at the same time, etc. This, in my own small way is supporting the environmentalists preaching... however, I would never do anything extreme such as swearing off all electrical appliances and not using a fan when I sleep... that is just nuts.

But to answer back the title of my blog... I think that this whole thing is a sham. Yeah, sure people are claiming they can see the stars and stuff but to do nothing for one whole hour is a waste of time and as they said, time is priceless. It's true that many would be caught in the trend in joining this event but once this event is over, it's back to electricity wastage again. I mean, how many cities can you celebrate Christmas and New Year without lighting up the city or displaying fireworks? (Fireworks will contribute to global warming lah) How many can just turn on the lights of the room that they are at and turn everything else off? We turn on the lights to make a city livelier and in some extent, safer... and I dare say that Mother Earth is not important enough for most people to risk their safety from burglars, snatch thefts, muggers, rapists and murderers. And I am still afraid of dark, so I will be in constant fear if I just turn on the light in my room while the rest of the house plunges into darkness.

So, turning off the lights (or to be more exact, non essential electrical items) will expose people to unecessary risks. If we are willing to celebrate holidays without those money burning firework and dazzling display of lightings, we would help in delaying global warming, reduce the spending of a country without risking our safety! Why don't we all just watch stars to celebrate holidays? Taking off those extra lightings for holiday celebrations would save more electricity than you can by not using electricity for just one hour a year. So, yup, I would say that this whole event is a sham!

I already am doing my part in saving the Earth... it's time for those of higher power do something more tangible. Stop celebrating any event! Stop shopping! Stop using handphones! Stop eating hot food! Stop drinking hot drinks! Stop using air-conds! Stop using hot showers!

I wonder how many can do even one of the things mentioned above :P. We do not need to do anything extreme or drastic... it is true that the Earth is in a bad condition but just like a fat person going on diet, it would not do to not eat at all or skip meals... instead we need to reduce the portions of the meal itself. In other words, reduce electricity usage everyday but not just go crazy and not use any electricity at all... it won't last!

2 comments:

iamthewitch said...

Earth Hour is created and publicized to people so that they would appreciate the source of energy. To let them know how important energy is and how they would feel WITHOUT it. So, if you don't experience the absence of energy during one of the prime hours at night, you wouldn't really know how to appreciate it! :P My two cents'.

Bamboo said...

iamthewitch: I'm sure we have experienced that one time or another due to power failure... but when you say it like that, I supposed it sounds nicer.
The following excerpt is taken from wikipedia:-
Earth Hour is at worst tokenism or at best creating awareness to lead to further steps like switching to green power from sources such as wind power, solar power, or nuclear power and away from electricity produced by burning fossil fuels like coal, natural gas and petroleum.
Another excerpt from Price Water House Coopers website:-
The main point of this campaign (Earth Hour) is to show people and companies how easy it is to take action to avoid global warming.
So, it is not the appreciation of electricity but rather to embrace no electricity!... which is just plain stupid :P