Monday, August 25, 2008

Supernatural – Never Judge a Show By Its First Episode

I know I sound arrogant… but when it comes to anime, tv shows, movies and novels, I am rarely wrong. Sure, not all would agree to my thoughts and comments on movies and shows, but a majority of people would agree with my conclusion on them. I have always prided myself in knowing a success of a tv series or anime by just watching the first episode… and I had never been wrong… until now.

Basically, once a director decided to film a tv series in a certain way, it is hard for them to change no matter how hard they try. Thus, I usually would sample the tv series again only if the director changes if I found the tv series to be of not my taste in its earlier production.

I think it was two years ago when I first watch the series “Supernatural” on Astro… and I found it to be horrible. Well, the casting and storyline isn’t exactly very bad, but even after I have grown up, I am still afraid of the dark and horror movies… and the first episode was absolutely horrifying. I meant that in a good way for horror genre enthusiasts. I don’t know why, but while I am not afraid of demons, succubus, werewolves, vampires, zombies, ghouls, hellhounds, etc., my feelings for ghosts bordered on extreme fear. Maybe it’s because they are such intangible beings (ethereal). They can appear and reappear wherever they want and they can be extremely horrible to look at. While werewolves are not handsome too, I find it easier to accept a horrible looking beast than a horrifying looking ghost… I supposed it’s because ghosts are reflection of us humans when they were alive and the probability that I would end up like that scared me to no end. However, I decided at that time that this kind of tv series is not for me and I did not watch it ever again… until recently.

It was only recently that someone commented that he loved to watch “Supernatural”. We argued for some time but being a very reasonable person, I decided to give this tv series another try. I borrowed the DVD set from my friend mainly to prove him wrong and out of sheer boredom. I ran out of things to watch and read for some time and it was really difficult for me to pass through weekends.

I immediately skipped the first episode which I watched two years earlier. The episode however is still fresh in my mind. It talks about a white dressed woman (ghost) who would seduce men and kill them in a horrible manner. I jumped to the second episode. The second episode was horrifying too… it was about a Wendigo (a human turned monster) on a killing spree. However, no matter how powerful or scary this Wendigo is, it just is not as chilling as the woman in white. Thus, I was pleasantly surprised when I found myself enjoying the series. I was deeply engrossed in the creative way they presented nightmares and horrors. Sure, I was still afraid but at least I am not holding my breath for the entire series.

The series is about how two brothers Dean Winchester (Jensen Ackles) and Sam Winchester (Jared Padalecki) go about to destroying evil and saving lives everyday as they travel back and forth across the country. The first season has a main plot about the brothers trying to locate their missing father and also hunting the evil that killed their mother. However, it is the non main plot related episodes that I find most interesting.

This series don’t have much of those mumbo jumbo and magic like Charmed or Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel. The two brothers fight nighttime horrors with mostly guns (well, with different kind of bullets like silver, iron and salt). Chanting is used solely for dealings with demons. Also, the conversations between the brothers are really entertaining. Their constant bickering, bullying and wacky comments casts a nice atmosphere amongst the horror filled background. There was even one episode where the two brothers play tricks on each other and it was really hilarious to watch them resorting to childish methods in order to outdo one another. Each brother portrayed their character very well… one a womanizer who placed his family above all else and another with the burden of knowing he is the cause of his mother’s and girlfriend’s death.

The director also did not try to instill fear amongst viewers by introducing extreme gore in the series… well, there are a few episodes which has a lot of blood but I still find the first episode the most horrifying one :P. With three complete seasons and fourth season showing in the States now, one can rest assured that this is not some B-grade horror tv series.

Anyway, for those who would want to watch something with mild horror, comedy, action and drama all rolled into one, “Supernatural” is the one for you.

2 comments:

FisheyBlakey said...

haha. good thing u liked that show. ^_^ ive watched all 3 seasons.. and its AWESOME! cant wait for the 4th one!

Bamboo said...

blakey: nice to know that there's someone who agrees with me! Still watching season 2... hopefully when I reached end of season 3, season 4 would start screening in Malaysia :)